Former Official Fazil Nabi: 2027 Budget Represents Critical Phase
At a Glance
- A former Iraqi official said Kurdistan must secure a 14% budget share based on new census data
- He emphasizes that Erbil must lock in its financial rights before the draft leaves the Iraqi Council of Ministers.
- The official affirming that employee salaries are secure through the end of 2026
The upcoming 2027 Iraqi budget represents a critical phase for the Kurdistan Region, requiring it to firmly secure its financial rights within the Council of Ministers, former Undersecretary of the Iraqi Ministry of Finance Fazil Nabi stated. He reassured the public that employee salary provisions remain fully secure and will face no funding disruptions through the end of this year.
Key Statement and Focus Areas
- Fazil Nabi said the Kurdistan Region’s share, previously 12.67%, must be increased to 14% based on the latest census.
- There is no threat to salaries until the end of 2026, as the Central Bank has the capacity to financially support the government.
During an interview with Channel8, Nabi emphasized that the Federal Court's ruling separated salaries from the operational budget, meaning the salary issue must be resolved permanently.
He noted that the Kurdistan Region has fulfilled all its obligations and handed over its oil to Baghdad, so it must be granted its provincial development entitlements.
The former official highlighted that Kurdish representatives must cement the Region's rights within the Iraqi Council of Ministers in the draft budget before it reaches parliament.
An immense, major theft has resulted in the disappearance of massive amounts of cash in Iraq, according to remarks by Nabi, who revealed that only "petty thieves" have been arrested so far.
Nabi noted widespread rumors of a negotiated deal allowing suspects' release in exchange for returning half of the stolen funds.
Addressing the potential removal of zeros from the Iraqi currency, he stated the timing remains inappropriate as inflation has not yet reached a level that warrants such a decision.
FYI
The Kurdistan Regional Government has officially submitted its 2027 federal budget proposal to Baghdad last Thursday, following comprehensive financial reviews.
The proposal seeks a 14.1% share of the national budget, focusing on securing public salaries, infrastructure projects, and civil service promotions.
The Ministry of Finance called for a unified stance from parliamentary representatives to ensure these rights are upheld during upcoming negotiations.
The Kurdish push to protect its financial entitlements coincides with an announcement by the Iraqi Prime Minister that the federal draft budget will soon be submitted to parliament.
Farhad Atrushi, the Second Deputy Speaker of the Iraqi Parliament, told Channel8 earlier that a unified stance among Kurdish officials in Baghdad is essential to securing the Kurdistan Region's budget share.
He also affirmed that based on population statistics, the Region's allocation should be 14 percent, adding that Kurdish ministers must actively push within the federal Council of Ministers to ensure KRG demands are integrated into the initial budget draft.
Dive Deeper: Handpicked Stories for You
Follow Channel8 for continuous updates:
KRG 2027 Budget Focuses on 23 Trillion Operational Costs
Atrushi Urges Kurdish Unity to Secure 14% Budget
Al-Zaidi Says Government Will Soon Submit Budget to Parliament
2 hours ago