Iran Warns Gulf States Against Supporting US Military

Shanya Salar 2 hours ago
Bushehr nuclear power plant in Iran. Atta Kenare / AFP
Bushehr nuclear power plant in Iran. Atta Kenare / AFP

At a Glance

  • Iran warns Gulf countries
  • Hormuz tensions remain high
  • Trump denies ongoing US-Iran talks

Iran has warned Gulf countries against assisting US military operations as tensions remain high around the Strait of Hormuz and the UAE suspends economic and financial ties with Tehran.


Key Statements and Focus Area

  • Ali Abdollahi: “Any assistance or facilitation provided to the aggressor US military amounts to participation in the US military operation.”
  • On Gulf bases: Abdollahi said Gulf states should know that Iran is “fully aware of the situation.”
  • UAE: “All trade, commercial exchanges, and financial transactions with Iran have been halted until further notice.”
  • Donald Trump: “There are no talks or conversations going on, or scheduled, with the Islamic Republic of Iran.”

Iranian armed forces chief of staff Ali Abdollahi issued the warning on Wednesday, according to Iran’s Mehr news agency.

He questioned whether regional governments could remain unaware of US military aircraft operating from their bases, particularly refueling aircraft.

The warning comes despite several Middle Eastern countries previously stating that they would not allow their territory to be used as a launchpad for attacks against Iran.

Media reports have alleged that Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Kuwait, and Bahrain have struck targets in Iran in retaliation for Iranian attacks on Gulf states. The countries have largely denied those reports.

Abu Dhabi had earlier accused Iran of firing two ballistic missiles toward the UAE before clarifying that the missiles were directed at shipping.

The UAE has recalled its ambassador to Tehran and closed Iran-linked schools and a hospital since the beginning of the conflict.

Tankers belonging to the UAE state-owned oil company ADNOC have also been targeted repeatedly in recent weeks.

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio spoke with the UAE’s national security adviser on Tuesday about coordination against Iran and its proxies, as well as maintaining freedom of navigation through the Strait of Hormuz.

The Strait of Hormuz remains effectively blocked by Iran, while attacks on commercial shipping have continued despite a recent reduction in direct hostilities between Washington and Tehran.

A proposed US-Iran framework aimed at reopening the waterway has collapsed.

Although US envoy Jared Kushner said Monday that Washington and Tehran were engaged in “very positive and active conversations,” Trump rejected that assessment the following day.

Trump also posted a map depicting the Strait of Hormuz as “NEW U.S. Territory,” following earlier threats involving the strategic waterway.

The conflict began on February 28 with US and Israeli attacks on Iran, followed by Iranian missile and drone strikes across the region.

US military operations have largely been paused, while US media reports have said the prolonged conflict has placed pressure on American stocks of essential munitions. Trump and the Pentagon have denied those reports.

Meanwhile, Iranian officials continue to reject pressure from Washington.

Iranian Parliament Speaker and chief negotiator Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf visited Iraq, saying the trip aimed to strengthen a new regional order and expand cooperation without foreign interference.

He also described resistance groups in Iraq as one element of the country’s power.

FYI

The Strait of Hormuz is a critical route for global energy shipments, connecting the Persian Gulf with the Gulf of Oman. Restrictions on traffic through the waterway have created significant risks for commercial shipping and regional energy markets.

The latest developments combine military warnings, economic measures, and stalled diplomacy, with Gulf states facing pressure to balance security ties with Washington against their relations and trade links with Tehran.

Dive Deeper: Handpicked Stories for You

Follow Channel8 for continuous updates:

Turkey Rejects Israel Claims Over Forces in Syria

Iran Says 60-Day MoU Framework Lost Relevance After U.S. Breaches

US Envoy Jared Kushner Meets Netanyahu Over Gaza Plan

Shanya Salar

2 hours ago